Friday, October 1, 2010

First Step - Electric Vacuum Pump

After looking at many choices, finally decided to order the Vacuum Pump from Stainless Steel Brakes

Kit includes a vacuum pump, mounting hardware, vacuum switch, and relay
. I had to drill holes in the bay, install the kit. 
I was not familiar with the electrical circuitry and for this kit to function correctly, 
  • the electric connection had to be ignition source - meaning it should be powered only when the ignition is turned on
  • Relay and switch had to be grounded

Mike refreshed my memory about how to use a multi-meter and also guided me to design a mounting plate and to install it.



I followed the instructions thoroughly and installed the pump, followed by switch and relay. Connected everything together, verified the connections again to ensure I didn't mess anything up. Turned on the ignition... Voila!!! Vacuum pump started and I tested the brake pressure and it worked as it is supposed to. Played with the brakes couple of times and went for a test drive with my son for a trip to local Walmart to buy gifts for coupe of his friends' Birthdays..  Everything worked as it should be. I noticed that the pump makes quite a bit of noise, while it creates the vacuum. bbbbbrrrrrrrr  


Bonus: I saw an electric wire hanging out. Mike and I tried to figure out whether this needed to be connected or it is a redundant connection. We finally figured out that this is a connection that drives emergency lights!! The emergency lights never worked after I bought this car and I never bothered to find out why. After I connected the wire, emergency lights came to life!!

1 comment: